Thursday, January 13, 2011

Personal Journal Entry #1

                                                                                                               January 13, 2011.

          I am majoring in Elementary Education with a minor in Art. I have just started the Spring semester at FGCU. I am enrolled in 18 hours of courses, or what I call, a FULL course load and I am working over the weekends. As a student, this year will be very vigorous but I will work hard to achieve high academic achievement. I would call myself a very ambitious and family-oriented person. I would describe myself as an all around caring person who does absolutely everything for my friends and family. I have always had a warm and gentle personality and I know that those qualities will never change.

          I live with my mother and my shih-tzu, Nicky. I love my mother with all of my heart. We are about as close as it gets. She has been there for me throughout my development as a child into the successful college student I am today. If it wasn't for her, I probably would not have made it this far. My dog, Nicky or Sir Nicholas, is an absolute spoiled prince. He gets to sleep all day, get massages, play with toys, and most importantly get lots of treats! I have had many pets over the years, but my Nicky is my absolute favorite. He is the sweetest dog a girl could ask for. He is rather unintelligent though. Sometimes he misplaces his toys all over the house and gets in wild modes where he runs around the house like a crazed lunatic. But Nicky is the best friend, well best ANIMAL friend, I could ask for. If anything were to happen to him then my heart would break. So it goes without saying that not only am I kind to people, I am an animal lover as well!

          A little more about me. I am an only child. As thrilling as that sounds, it can be a bit lonely. I have had no brothers or sisters to play with as I grew up. Well, at least none that I know of. I am also adopted and have no knowledge of where my birth parents are located. But I have led a great life filled with friends and family that I would do just about anything for. Family comes first. Then my education. Then work. That is just the way it is. If I didn't have my family, I would be lost. It is important for everyone to realize how important family is and to understand how fortunate we are here in the United States. We have freedoms here that some countries wouldn't dream of. Sometimes the simple things in life are the most forgotten. But, in all reality, the simple things in life, like spending time with family, should be the most coveted and cherished.  

          As for now, that is all I need. Without love, support, and encouragement from the people who love you, then a person would be nothing and go nowhere in life. I am grateful to have the opportunity to learn new things, get a good education, and to be surrounded by wonderful people. I am truly blessed and thankful to be where I am today!

Below are some photographs of my prince of a dog -- Sir Nicholas a.k.a. Nicky!




And after a grooming:





CONT...

Food For Thought:

          After taking the time to soak up nature and the environment around my neighborhood I have created a short list of questions that popped into my mind. Some questions to consider:

1.) For living in a gated community, why are there so many houses without lawn care? Shouldn't each person have the same quality of grass, which is alive rather than practically dead?

2.) Why are there sandspurs in the grass, when there is no sand? (Nicky did NOT appreciate getting one stuck in his poor little paw. Thankfully, I was able to remove it with quite a bit of effort.)

3.) Why are there hardly any residents playing the outdoor sports activities? Throughout my neighborhood we have swimming pools, tennis courts, mini-golf, even shuffleboard. Why are people rarely taking advantage of these fun activities?

4.) Does the colder Florida temperature have a harsh effect on the trees and the flowers?

5.) Will it ever snow in Florida?

6.) Why is it that every time trash pick-up day comes around, which is twice a week, all of the houses on my block have massive amounts of trash  in a matter of days?

7.) For being in a nice community, why are there some amounts of litter covering the ground when there are trash cans only are mere 3 feet away?

8.) Do people in my community have respect for the environment that they live in? Does anyone think about the environment at all?

9.) Are there people who do not know how to recycle items?

10.) Going around my community I noticed many houses and lawns that were unattended. Why do I never see anyone watering their plants? If people have the time to roll their garbage cans to the end of the driveway shouldn't they also have time to take care of the outside appearance of their homes and water their planted garden?

Also, 11.) What is the purpose of riding around on a bike and putting your dog enclosed in a mesh basket? Wouldn't they like to smell the roses, mark their territory, or chase after the birds? What is the point of containing them while you get a breath of fresh air?

No comments:

Post a Comment