Sunday, January 23, 2011

Personal Journal Entry #3

                                                                                                                                 January 23, 2011

    
     After reflecting on my personal world view, I considered the following questions:
     Is there a relationship between the quality of life and the quality of the environment? If so, what does this relationship really mean to me as an individual? How can I use this information to benefit my own life and those around me?

     Quality of life can be a term used to evaluate the general well-being of individuals and societies. But it is more than that. Indicators of the quality of life are the built environment, physical and mental health, education, recreation and leisure time, and social belonging. There are many areas where a healthy environment positively affects our quality of life. We have national parks which increase the value of life for recreation. I also recollected  that here in the United States we have clean lakes, rivers, and beaches that provide many different forms of recreation including boating, fishing, wakeboarding, surfing, waterskiing, scuba diving, etc. Further, we have an abundant food supply, including organic farming, leading to a healthier lifestyle. Environmental quality is a general term which can refer to varied characteristics that relate to the natural environment as well as the built environment, such as air, water purity or pollution, noise, and the potential effects which such characteristics may have on physical and mental health caused by human activities. It is important for us to realize that we are very fortunate to have so much here in the United States.

     When taking all of this into account I realized that, personally, I sometimes take these things for granted. On a daily basis I do not contemplate the environment as much as I possibly should. I do admit that. But the important thing to remember is that I do care. I can try to become more active in the environment. I do think that it is important to recycle and not cause plastic to float into our oceans and harm the underwater species. I know that if I can make the vow to help the environment, by remembering to recycle or not waste food, that I will make a difference. Imagine what an effect this would have on the environment if we all chose to do something. We can get involved. It is all a matter of if you want to take care of the environment that you, your family, and your friends live in. It is not just about you. It is how you can benefit your quality of life and if you have the perseverance to help those around you. A well cared for environment is beneficial for everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment